On 28 Aug 2008, at 09:26, Paul wrote:

That would be almost impossible: a session is running with 8 https clients communicating to the server. The server has to have certificate that can be checked continuously at the certificate authority. It's a complete different model than all existing software and is mainly used by large enterprise clients. Some need a very high secutity level (banks) and we even need to write special servers for them.
Believe me: they won't take VNC for an answer.

I really don't see the problem. Your client software would obviously be doing all the certificate checking and the customers don't have to know whether it's vnc or your proprietary protocol underneath. There are simply two separate things:
a) software to let a remote user control a local computer
b) secure transmission and authentication of the commands etc between the server and the local computer

Now,
a) can be done with vnc
b) can be done by tunneling the vnc data stream over as many https connections as you want, which are authenticated as often and wherever you want, using your client software. I.e., the client software can simply be a secure proxy for a vnc data stream (breaking it up and sending different kinds of packets over different https connections or whatever).

Of course, if you need to be able to do things that the vnc protocol itself does not support, that would be another matter (but I haven't seen that being mentioned).

Jonas