Message: 1
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 17:09:10 +0200
From: Lukas Gradl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [fpc-pascal] OT: Buy a Mac to develop for MacOS? Which one?

Hi!

Having a customer request to port an app to MacOS I have to think about some test platform.
As I was never interested in MacOS this is virgin territory to me.

So perhaps some of the Mac-users here can help me out a bit:
I still want to use my current machines as them main ones, I just need a platform to compile and test my application on.

1.) Do I really need to buy a Mac? Or is there a good solution to emulate one on an x86 Linux box? Just crosscompiling without the possibility to do serious tests in house is not an option, as my app has to integrate in some hardware-subsystems (printing, networking).

2.) If 1=yes, which one would you recommend? Which hardware platform? Intel? PowerPC? It has to be OSX, do I have to care which version I get or is just any OSX ok for testing?

Perhaps some Mac-Developer out there could post his/her opinion...

Intel, positively. A MacBook is quite sufficient. A Mac Mini would also do the trick. I would not consider emulation.

A second hand PPC Mac is, of course, a lot cheaper, and will do for a while, but you will want an Intel one sooner or later.

/Ingemar