On 06 Feb 2009, at 17:05, Frank Peelo wrote:

Ken G. Brown wrote:
Basically from point of sale system running on Macintosh, I needed
to pick up a file with a known name located in the same folder as
the application bundle, and process it for printing in a custom
format. This way it does not need the file path hard coded in case
it is different on the different computers.

But, does what Jonas said not apply here?

No, because he's using a bundled application and not a command line app. In that case, conventions (and user expectations) are different.

Is the Mac a multi-user machine now?

Mac OS X Server 1.0 was released in 1999, and Mac OS X (client) 10.0 in 2001 on the desktop side (actually, even System 9 already had the concept of multiple users, but I don't remember anymore when it was released). But that's not really relevant here.

Jonas