Jonas Maebe wrote:
Roland Turcan wrote on do, 12 mrt 2009:

<<< 12.3.2009 10:09 - Jonas Maebe "jonas.ma...@elis.ugent.be" >>>
JM> Roland Turcan wrote on do, 12 mrt 2009:

Can I build FPC with debug information to get more details where the
exception occured and not to get only addresses from stack, but
nothing more.

JM> You can build it with
JM>    make OPT='-O- -gl"

JM> to include debug information and the lineinfo. This will symbolise the
JM> stack trace when it crashes (or if that does not work, you can then
JM> run it in gdb and use the "bt" command to show a stack trace when it
JM> crashes).

I have longer time a difficulty to solve this message when I try to
build fpc with "sudo make clean all":

Makefile:2279: *** No libgdb.a found, supply NOGDB=1 to disable
debugger support.

of course, then I use "sudo make clean all NOGDB=1" and it builds
fine, but without debugger support I need.

I am a newbie to MacOSX 10.5 and therefore I would like to ask how to
install libgdb.a library which is requested.

I don't understand this: the message you show only appears when building the text mode IDE, and the text mode IDE is not built for Mac OS X (unless you manually go into the IDE directory and execute make there).

The error message about "no debugger support" means that there will be no internal debugger in the IDE. It does not mean that the units or the compiler do not contain debug information.

You do not need libgdb.a (unless you want to build the text mode IDE with internal debugger support on Mac OS X, but then you are on your own -- this is not tested/supported/planned).
Try:
sudo make clean all NOGDB=1 DEBUG=1

The makefile probably needs some adjusment to not try and build the text mode ide on platforms for which it is not supported

Colin