On Nov 28, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Anthony Walter wrote:

This is not guaranteed in any way. It happens to be so most of the time, but your code should never assume this is so, except for global Ansistring
variables.

If all globals weren't initialized to 0 a lot of code from lots of
people would potentially be in trouble. I've been using Pascal/Delphi
for a very long time. Trust me I know my stuff.

For what its Wirth....

None of our code ass-u-me-s (nor requires) initialization of _our_ globals (or locals) by any compiler or OS; all of our globals and locals are specifically initialized. Helps us survive the shifting Macintosh pascal compiler scene with 1988 source code.

Before that I used Pascal at Honeywell, 1978-1988; all variables were initialized by their programs, not the OS, not the compiler.

Gary