Reimar Grabowski <reimg...@web.de>:

> > If you want to get better than that, you need to get system specific,
> > I'm afraid.
>
> That's not true. As Graeme already mentioned there is EpikTimer which is
> a cross-plattform, high-resolution timer (which btw works very well for
> realtime tasks).

Well, that depends on your definition of "system-specific", doesn't it? ;)

BTW, quoted from the EpikTimer Wiki:

|Tested on:
|Pentium IV 3,2Mhz on Windows and Linux with great precision
|(~ 3,220,000,000 ticks per second)
|Pentium 233Mhz with Damn Small Linux. Works great with hardware clock.
|Mobile AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ on Windows XP Home (32 bit), Lazarus 9.13
|AMD 64 CPU, running 64 bit version of Ubuntu Linux, Lazarus 9.18.
|
|Issues: Needs testing on FreeBSD and older machines that lack TSC
|hardware.

I'd expect "cross-platform" to cover a bit more than Windows and Linux on x86
and seemingly depending on a working Time Stamp Counter (no I haven't looked at
the source yet).

But as always, YMMV.

Vinzent.