On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
<mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:

> Impressive. So the FPC implementation on top of this obviously does
> something on top of this which causes it to slow down.
>
> Possible culprits would then be the semaphores and TLS allocation.

I obtained the source to pThreads system late last night.  It does use
a barrier using which is not necessary.  And FPC (trunk) has another
barrier on top of that.  I may re-compile pthreads library and update
on my machine but I think I already have it running up to speed!
Debugger slows things down too.

Present version of ThreadMemTest running outside debugger:

10500 threads create in 1.5 seconds :-)