On 10/05/2011 18:03, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> Even commercial companies have difficulty following this model,

True. In general, commercial software have a much slower release cycle
compared to open-source software. There are many reasons for that, one
being that the open-source model is very different to a close-source model.

> I guess that it works for Ubuntu simply because their work is mostly
> packaging and not actually writing software.

Indeed, but many forget that that was in fact one of Ubuntu's early
goals. Ubuntu being the vehicle to get open-source projects out into the
public eye and onto desktop computers. Now that they have been
successful in that (though still not making any profit), the public is
criticizing them for a job well done. Go figure!

On the flip side, Canonical is investing year-on-year, more developers
in home-grown software. So they do seem to take up the challenge of
doing development and packaging.

--

            Ben.