On 09 Mar 2012, at 10:24, max wrote:

My general wish for the compiler programmer would be that old versions would still be available and installable in the future as new versions sometimes
show strange behaviours on old prorgams

They generally remain available. However, versions prior to 2.2.2 had to be removed because they contained code that may have been copied (or at least heavily based) on code from the Delphi or Kylix RTL.

[ this has happened before when the
internal representations of real numbers were altered leaving my old data
files unreadable]

The internal representation of real numbers has never been changed in FPC. FPC's "real" type is different from the emulated 6 byte "real" type in Turbo Pascal, but it always has been different.

Jonas