Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
I know that there are algorithms which given a text fragment will find the "best fit" from a number of candidates, based on how many substrings have to be deleted or changed.

Is there anything like this in the standard FPC library, and if not does anybody have one or a URL?

Application is a configuration file handler, where parameters describe things like keyboard layout, and I want to include some latitude so that a user doesn't have to get it exactly right if editing by hand.

> Maybe you mean something like Soundex:
>   http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/docs/rtl/strutils/soundex.html
>
> I myself would make a GUI for the configuration file and give all
> valid choices in comboboxes and radiogroups etc.
>
> Juha

Soundex had occurred to me, but it's very much oriented towards (American) surnames: encode the start of the name followed by a digest of the remainder.

> I think this sounds more like "edit distance", but I am not sure why
> it would be needed for a config file.
>
> Thank you,
>    Noah silva

That was the term I was looking for, I see there's a Wp entry and I haven't even blown the dust off Knuth yet :-)

Basically, I've got descriptions of golfballs like

BCD, 88 character
Correspondence, 96 character
Correspondence, 88 character + APL

and (if I get enough interest from the target audience) I want to be able to provide users the option of applying tweaks that might exceed what's provided by the GUI.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk