Ludo Brands wrote:
Bear in mind that files of that type are very much optional on Windows, a sop to those who demanded them in order to implement things like innd so they could claim it was as good as Unix. My experience is that the nameserver addresses are available from the Windows registry if configured statically, I suspect- but I've not checked and aren't going to- that that sort of thing will be copied into the registry if it arrives using DHCP.

The synapse library has in synamisc.pas function GetDNS: string; which
returns all DNS servers known on the system (windows or unix).  It uses on
windows the GetNetworkParams api function from IPHlpAPI.lib and, if not
succesfull, tries the windows registry.

I'd have used Synapse if this were a program of any significance. However as it is it's purely a demo, and in case any of the target audience tries to recompile it I've specifically avoided anything non-standard (I'm using FPC's ltelnet, but since that isn't in the search paths by default I've copied it into my own source).

A later version might use something like cmdline in order to support coloured text, but I'll probably make that optional so that the base configuration will still compile.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk