On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Sven Barth wrote:

it as native. I guess it is faster than .NET code because it is not
managed. I thought that .NET allows non-managed code, too.

Why does "COM-based + .NET-like metadata" imply that it's not native
code?
The core libraries are written in either C or C++ and the metadata is
needed so that runtimes like .NET and languages like JavaScript can
interface with WinRT. We can also use this metadata to generate Object
Pascal wrappers (it is basically the successor of IDL which was used for
interface definitions in the original COM)

Well, now we know what you will do during your holidays ;-)

Ehm... no, not really. I see no reason in working on something that I don't
plan to use. ;)

I was not being serious. But it does seem something up your alley.

I can't believe they invented yet another technology/API. Their partners
must go crazy :/

They have seen that their pure managed approach on Windows Phone 7 wasn't
as successful as thought and now they try to attract native, managed and
"web" (JavaScript) developers...

Could be. The end result is that they have now several technologies, and the
new developer is faced with the choice: which one ? if you're in it for the
long term, this is a crucial decision.