But creating correct symlinks IS one of the tasks of a system
administrator... His up to know the distro he is using and the
software he wants to install.

I bet a "in the field" sysadmin will be much more flexible than a
hardcoded implementation that would need to take zillions of obscure
distros in consideration from the limited perspective of compile
time...