> > It is a different story but an integral part of this particular
> > problem. Why else has the "solution" to be spelled out
> everytime the
> > problem pops up? You'll say people don't make the effort to
> read old
> > messages. But in this thread alone you'll find a
> "InitializeInterbase"
> > and a "Did you try ibase60dyn.initializeibase60('whatever.so'); in
> > your dpr ?" in messages from people that are supposed to be
> > references. Both functions don't exist...
>
> That is the whole point of these discussions. They are heated
> and overfocus on some detail that is considered all
> inhibiting, and they compare detail problems of the current
> implementation with a future implementation that is
> perfect on paper. (and of course it never is).
>
> If you want documentation, write documentation, don't discuss
> change requests.

Who is heating the discussion now? I said that lack of documentation is
_part_ of the problem with the current implementation and the solution is
"write documentation"?

> > > This is all IIRC, it was some time ago. I think mysql users
> > > are more familiar with these problems :-)
> > >

> > Correct but I fail to see the relation to the subject at hand: the
> > library being used.
>
> If drastic changes (like postponing header initialization
> till larger parts of the LCL are in the air) must be made, I
> rather fix all issues.

I have read the line 5 times but I don't understand what you are trying to
say.

> Anyway, the crucial question still hasn't been answered, does
> sqldb/lazarus have designtime database connections like
> Delphi/zeos has?

Yes it has
(http://wiki.freepascal.org/SQLdb_Package#Using_the_SQLdb_Package). There
are some differences with Delphi/Zeos like the ability to preview query
results or specify the library to be used but I won't overfocus on these
details.

Ludo