The few things I know about are:

Am 2012-08-18 15:54, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
1) Is it correct that String <> AnsiString any more?

Well, it never was. At least "string" could also be a shortstring, maybe other
strings too meanwhile (I don't know).

3) If false, what must I enable/toggle to say that String must now be a Delphi
unicode-type string.

I don't know what a Delphi unicode-type string is exactly.

4) What Unicode encoding is used? UTF-8 or UTF-16?

AFAIK UTF-8 is the prefered unicode string as it is used in the IDE and also
many libraries (but not all). I am not sure what is planed for the future
though.

5) Is it only the compiler that has unicode string type support. Has anything
been done or started in the RTL?

The RTL still uses the ancient 255 char one-byte array.
This works ok if paths are not longer than 255 chars and
when you convert all strings to the (one-byte) string type
that is used by the API of the OS (ANSI for Windows and I think UTF-8 for
Linux).