> In seems that the 'gmake install' doesn't install the *.a files that FPC
> generates, so my apps fail to link. I did a comparison between my 2.7.1
> and 2.6.0 (installed from official installer) directories. In 2.6.0 the
> *.a files are found in the lib/fpc/2.6.0/... directories, but in 2.7.1
> they are not (they only appear in the FPC 'src' directory tree).
>
> Has the 'gmake install' changed in 2.7.1 compared to how it worked
> before? Or is there again something special required for FreeBSD systems?

  Did you check what happens when you call
gmake install ?

 One of the problems I often get is that
I have a release compiler in the path.
In that case the outcome of 'fpc-iSOSP..'
is used to generated the sub-directory into which
the generated libraries will be stored...

So often I end up with
  BASE_271_DIR/lib/fpc/2.7.1
but also
  BASE_271_DIR/lib/fpc/2.6.0
which contains the newly installed linraries...

 I don't exactly know when, and when not,
this problem shows up.
  A good solution to avoid it is to put
your trunk compiler binary in the path before the release
compiler.

Pierre