Jonas,
Thanks for the guidance.

Where is cpumips defined?
Also, I could not use the $fpctarget variable, I had to use the exact file path to avoid some complains in lazarus.
#include /etc/fpc.cfg
#ifdef cpumips
-Fu/home/dennis/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget
-Fu/home/dennis/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/*
-Fu/home/dennis/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/rtl
#endif

Also, if complained under "FPC Source" tab when I entered "/home/dennis/fpc/rtl"
"Warning directory rtl not found"

I am quite confused. I followed the svn checkout instructions and the /dennis/fpc folder contents are what I got. Which folder within that resultant folder is the source code folder? Should I move or copy that somewhere else and then pass its path to Lazarus ?

Also, I am confused why the INSTALL_PREFIX had no effect and I still have to specify the compiler path and the source code path in fpc.cfg and lazarus.

there is no /home/dennis/fpc/rtl/rtl directory. Additionally, you have to point it to the top level directory containing the FPC *sources*. Since your previous mails showed that you specified "/home/dennis/fpc" as the INSTALL_PREFIX, I hope "/home/dennis/fpc" is not also your source directory. It shouldn't break anything in case it is, but it's not very clean to install there.

Eventually, somehow with some hardcoding of the environ...xml and the Lazarus start up screen file paths, Lazarus started without complains. I tried to compile a simple program targeted at linux and mips and the "test compile" gave me errors:
ERROR: compiled FPC unit not found avl_tree.ppu
ERROR: complied FPC unit not found: zstream.ppu
but earlier, I already "make all CPUtarget... OS_TARGET.... . " and I added the binutilsprefix . for mips-linux. to produce many *.o and *.ppu for the target.
What else more can do to product avl_tree.ppu and zstrasm.ppu?
The test program is just 1 line of writeln('hello word');

Thanks a lot in advance.

Dennis