On 2/6/2014 1:47 PM, Jim Leonard wrote:
On 2/6/2014 11:04 AM, waldo kitty wrote:
ahh... i see what you are doing... you are passing the pointer to the
whole record instead of just the needed key... hummm... i'll have to
think about that and how to do it in my app... right now i'm only
passing the necessary key because the record is 'large'... but then
again... some thought and meditation is necessary ;)

Not much thought required -- a pointer to the record is 4 bytes, no matter how
large the record is.

yep! i realized this when i was going back thru the code cleaning it up and letting the other side of my brain wander about in its own world ;)

In fact, it's probably faster than what you're doing, and more flexible.

i was sending the pointer to field's contents ;)

[time passes]

well, i thought i was... my KeyOf routine does a cast using

  PTLERec(Item)^.catnbr

but my (TLE) compare is apparently only sending the pointer to the catnbr string because the cast there is simply

  PString(Key1)^
and
  PString(Key2)^

the only place i understand that my (TTLEColl) compare is in play is in

  If NOT Search(KeyOf(Item), I) OR Duplicates Then  // Item valid

from the TTLEColl.Insert routine override that i posted previously... that Insert routine is taking a pointer to an entire record...

so now i'm a bit confused but it has been a long day... again... :/