By the way, why isn't a semicolon required at the end of SET NAMES 'utf8' command? I tried both with and without semicolon and neither raise an error.
Seems, that MySQL is tolerant to this.
MySQL supports MULTI_STATEMENTS, which enables client to pass multiple statements separated by ";" in one string. So may be, that MySQL interprets ";" as delimiter between multiple statements on one batch. If you use only one sql statement it is always better do not use terminating ";" IMHO

-Laco.

The strange thing is, when we use MYSQL's interactive command line client, a semi colon is always required for EACH SQL Statement.

Dennis