I have looked at a cook-book description on how to build fpc from
sources on RaspBian Linux and there I found these steps (I have left
out some other steps non-related to my question):

svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0 3.0.0
cd 3.0.0
make clean
make all OPT=-dFPC_ARMHF
sudo make install OPT=-dFPC_ARMHF PREFIX=/usr
sudo make install sourceinstall OPT=-dFPC_ARMHF PREFIX=/usr

If I run these commands except the last everything seems to work fine
including building lazarus and starting it.

So my question is really if the last line above is superfluous and
otherwise what it really does?

Does it invoke the building of fpc twice or is "install sourceinstall"
a separate command?

I tried "make help" to see the available targets but it returned:

Targets
all Alias for build
build Build a new compiler and all packages
install Install newly build files
zipinstall Create zip/tar of installed files
singlezipinstall Alias for zipinstall

So it seems like sourceinstall is not even a valid target....

Note:
I have next to no knowledge of make, the only time ever I use make is
when dealing with open source software like fpc and then only with
direction from some instructions (files or webpages).

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden