On 19/02/2016 20:20, fpc-pascal-requ...@lists.freepascal.org wrote:
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:49:57 -0700 (MST) From: leledumbo <leledumbo_c...@yahoo.co.id> To: fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] Happy tickets benchmark
>Do you have any ideas why this kind of optimization is special?
Didn't Florian said that this kind of optimization has no benefit in real
world programs and will only increase compilation time?
After more than 20 years in software engineering I'm avoiding to use the phrases like "real world program" or I put in quotes the word "real" at least :)

>For info, simple loop test like
>
>   while i < 1000000000 do
>     i := i + 1;
>
>shows that the FPC code is 2 times slower than Delphi 7 and Borland C
>5.5 and 4 times slower that C#.
Just checked such a code with gcc 5.3.0, in -O2 the generated assembly is:

        xorl    %eax, %eax
        ret

which literally does nothing. Without optimization the speed is equal.

It shows that gcc do the same kind of optimization as MSVC (hence I didn't include it), but other don't.
See my answer to Jonas for more details.

Regards,
Serguei