On Mon, 4 Apr 2016, tobiasgie...@gmail.com wrote:

Your question was not about Lazarus but maybe you should read this:
  http://wiki.freepascal.org/Better_Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus

Very interesting, but apparently there is some wrong info.

It says "On Linux and Mac OS X UTF-8 is typically the system codepage, so the
RTL uses
here by default CP_UTF8."

Not on my Mac. DefaultSystemCodePage is 20127 before I set it to 65001.

Should I fix this bit on the documentation page?

No. It says 'typically'.

That's the first part of the sentence.

The second part says: "the RTL uses here by default CP_UTF8."

That is wrong. It does not (at least not on Mac). This must be fixed.

Why do you think it is wrong ? It is perhaps wrong on your computer. Maybe it checks the environment ?
Did you include clocale ? etc. There are maybe a 100 things that can change
this.

Don't be too hasty in changing things. Jonas (who created that page) is usually very careful in such matters.