On 13/07/16 08:31, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>> Please excuse one of my regular silly questions. Elsewhere, a (former)
>>> Delphi programmer is uneasy having found that his binaries have had
>>> embedded SQL queries, passwords and so on visible "in clear" for the last
>>> 20 years or so.
>>>
>>> Can FPC be told to obfuscate ResourceStrings?
>>
>> No. The default value for resourcestrings is stored as-is in the binary.
>>
>> To solve this, I store the username/password encrypted in the binary as
>> consts, and they are decrypted when needed.
>
> Sometimes it's difficult to avoid having to do that sort of thing, or
> obfuscating them in an external file.

Could it help to try doing this after linking the program binary, to build the
resources and scramble them
using the program binary part checksum (or have it seed a PRNG and/or derive an
encryption key / key pair from it) ?

Not that I know how ;) and whether such a thing is viable at all - or desirable
(since an executable would
always have to be distributed with matching resources build). But how would
that be for an idea ? ;)

el es