I have an update on this.   I found a demo program here:
http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/inpout32/   I was able to successfully
run the demo program and access my parallel port.  I could write to it and
read back what I just wrote accurately.  I wrote '123' decimal to it, then
tried to read it back with my freepacal program,  it read 255.. then I tried
to read it back with the demo program, it was still 123.  So this proves
that my parallel port is working and that it works with this DLL.  The
question is, why can't I access it with my freepascal program?

I am wondering if it has something to do with my variable declarations.  I
used shortint for the port address but I wonder If it should be something
else.. the c++ example used smallint, but maybe that's not the same thing?
I randomly tried some other types but still no luck.  There has to be some
simple reason why I can't get this to work... any ideas?