I have a windows console application I wrote with Freepascal.    I can send it
a command line parameter for a file to use have it working so if I just double
click on the file I wish to open with my program, it launches and opens it.   I
am wondering how I can set it up so that double clicking a second file will
just load the new file into the first instance instead of opening a second
instance of the program.   I've been thinking up schemes for how this could be
done, but I think there must be some system in place that does this already
because a lot windows programs behave this way, just loading the new file into
the existing instance, but I'm not familiar enough with how this is done.
Could someone please point me in the right direction on how this is typically
done?

James