On 10/10/17 10:35, Tony Whyman wrote:
On 10/10/17 05:51, pasc...@piments.com wrote:
$make all         NOGDB=1 OS_TARGET=linux CPU_TARGET=x86_64 INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr Makefile:2914: *** The only supported starting compiler version is 3.0.0. You are trying to build with 3.1.1..  Stop.

BTW is  that msg  is correct? I just built with 3.0.2 , it seems that the version block is not specific enough or the message missed a version bump.
Yes, that message is always very irritating - but probably right. The FPC compiler I currently use is built from the fixes_3_0 branch and this demands the 3.0.0 compiler to initially compile the compiler. The first time I build from source there is no problem. I install the 3.0.0 compiler from a binary and build the source and install it. The second time, the error message occurs because you now have a more recent version as the installed compiler.

The way I avoid the problem is to have a script I always use to build from source and to force the use of the 3.0.0 compiler for the initial build. This is still on the system and will stay there (unless explicitly deleted) even after the later version is installed. My script saves the initial compiler version in a file "build-version" which is added to my working copy of the source code tree. The script is given below as an example and is intended to be run in the root directory of the source tree. Note the use of the PP make variable for passing the path to the initial build compiler.

   PREFIX=/usr
   FPCPROG=ppcx64

     if [ ! -f build-version ]; then
       fpc -iV >build-version
     fi

   BUILDVERSION=`cat build-version`

   if [ ! -x $PREFIX/lib/fpc/$BUILDVERSION/$FPCPROG ]; then
     echo "FPC Build Version ($BUILDVERSION) not found"
     exit 1
   fi

   echo "make default target compiler and libraries"

   export FPCDIR=$PREFIX/lib/fpc/$BUILDVERSION

   make all PP=$PREFIX/lib/fpc/$BUILDVERSION/$FPCPROG OPTIMIZE=1
   if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
     exit $?
   fi

   if [ ! -x compiler/$FPCPROG ]; then