On 18/11/17 20:14, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
I think that conventional wisdom is that if somebody's written numerical analysis code you don't change it gratuitously, since any alterations will change rounding errors etc. For some reason, that seems to apply particularly to FORTRAN programs :-)

If you have no working knowledge of the language it is written in conventional wisdom is that you don't change anything, gratuitously or otherwise.

to make any use of this code without understanding any of it, you will need some pretty thorough documentation of what it does, including accuracy, limitations and caveats.

My reaction to being presented with such a situation would be to dust off my 1980s punch card FORTRAN IV code, get up to speed and try to understand the code before attempting to use it.

Either that or you pay someone with the requisite knowledge to do the job.

my2c.