Please look at the lazarus logo/icon. It has no whiskers.

I opened lazarus.freepascal.org and I found it's using a paw as its logo.
Did I miss something? Sorry… I haven't been following Lazarus news for
quite a while, so I don't know the current logo.

I meant the icon it uses for the IDE.

It looks much more like a cheetah, not like a kitten.
So you can do something about it: remove the whiskers.

But cheetah do have whiskers. Other people complained the old logo weren't
really look like a cheetah's face.

Which "old logo" is that ? As far as I know, the only logo FPC has is the
little running cheetah on the website.

As an exercise I have done the job for you. See here:
http://www.freepascal.org/~michael/pascal_logo2.png

Perhaps I should make the whiskers a bit less visible? Thinner perhaps?

A lot thinner :)

You may also want to experiment with the direction. Upwards, downwards -
horizontal. Drooping...

It's of course better to improve the original, I am not an artist.
(I even would get rid of more elements, but let's start with this)

I'm not a professional artist either, but I love art and I do drawings for
a hobby.

The quality of your drawing shows it !

If we're talking branding anyway (a subject I loathe), then a logo should
represent the company/product group, whatever.
So, the FPC logo should exhale maturity, strength, prowess,
self-confidence.

Modern logo doesn't necessarily have to represent the WHOLE values of a
company/product, because a company/product should be dynamic that
could/should change over time. So is the logo. Take a look at most modern
logo of big companies today, i.e. Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc. For
example, I can't see any of Apple's values (both the company and the
products) got represented on a bitten gray apple fruit. It looks dull, at
least to me. But the Apple brand image is so powerful and what people think
about Apple is far from dull. Or… what values can we see from a G shaped
with four bright colors of Google's logo? It looks like a letter toy. Or
Linux logo, Swift logo, Kotlin logo, etc.

True, but these logos are not animals.

And here I will stop: as said, branding is not a subject I am particularly
fond of or interested in. I am more interested in the contents of the box
than in the packaging...

Hardly things one associates with a kitten.

I don't think it looks like a kitten, especially the updated one. But of
course it looks like a cat, because cheetah is a cat.

FPC is an open-source project dating back to the days the word "open
source" did not exist. So maturity is important.

How do we put "maturity" onto a cheetah's face?

At the very least by not making it look like a kitten :)

Cheetah is known as the
fastest animal on land. That's what the most recognizable value of a
cheetah logo. And that's what people should think about (Free) Pascal: it's
FAST. By making the logo looks more modern, it also brings modernity value.
So, the new logo should represent something that's fast and modern. And
cheetah is also cute as a mascot. And cuteness is attracting young people.
:)

If we're looking for 'My little pony' kind of people, then we should
definitely aim for cute :)

But this is not exactly the kind of people I think we should attract.

A cheetah is not cute. It's a wild animal which will have no compunction
about slashing your throat or ripping your intestines out if you get it
cornered.

I don't see a kitten do this. Well, it may try, but will fail utterly... :)

Using marketing/branding talk:
Given that I think your version looks like a kitten, you will understand
that for the reasons explained above, I would not want to be "associated"
with the logo as you proposed it now.

I understand. But I'm not fully agree with you either. The main reason I'm
proposing new logo for Free Pascal –or even Pascal language in general– is
I want to bring Pascal to the young people. I want these kids know that
Pascal today is as modern, fast, and dynamic as other well-known
programming languages. I hate it when I told them I'm writing a software
using Pascal and they look at me like I'm a dinosaur. Some of them even
asking me, "how do you make a web app using Turbo Pascal?" :D

I get this often too, but now I show them pas2js.

But unfortunately, I don't believe a flashy/cute/whatever logo will change this...

In fact, I'm currently designing of another Pascal logo that's more
abstract, simpler, friendlier, and more colorful. It's still based on
cheetah's face though. I'll present it as second alternative, once I'm done
with it. :)

I am curious :)

And last but definitely not least:

I really do appreciate you taking the time to do this. It's not because I
think differently about what the result should be that I don't appreciate the effort you put in this, so thank you for that !