> On Jun 2, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org>
> wrote:
>
> Personally, I don't understand the obsession with language features.
> If anything, I would make the language more simple. But this is just me
> swimming against the current.

Ironically I totally agree but it’s so difficult to determine what is
“necessary” and what isn’t. Sometimes it takes 10 years of real world
implementation to realize something was a bad idea.

Were there people that argued against operator overloads and advanced records I
wonder? Those I’m 100% certain were good ideas and really make my life better.
I'm even suspect of generics even though I use them often. I don’t use dynamic
arrays but others here seem really attached to them.

Even with all the language cruft at least FPC doesn’t force any of it on you
like C# forces you to use classes for everything and denies you from allocating
stuff on the stack. That’s where it crosses a very real line for me. You can
still make procedural program and be totally oblivious to everything that
happened in the last 20 years. :)

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph