Hi everybody,

I needed to implement a simple dedicated TCP/IP connection between a client and a server. Nothing fancy, just sending and receiving short strings. I have used in the past for that purpose the unit Sockets lifting it from Delphi/Kylix. This unit was taking advantage of libc, and this makes it unusable today.

Instead of using heavy libraries such as Synapse, intended or other purposes I believe I have found a simpler and cleaner solution by just using the fpc Sockets unit. This unit however doesn't provide all of the required functionalities. Therefore I have implemented a small unit which I named klibc, which provides the extra functions required such as fpinet_addr, fpgethostbyname etc. and which i share which whomever has similar problems.

As I'm in possess of a valid licence, I also took advantage of the Kylix Sockets unit, which I adjusted and renamed KSockets to avoid name clashing. Being copyrighted code I can't share it publicly, but I can share it privately with whomever is in a similar condition as mine.

I have not yet tested all functionalities, but the Delphi/Kylix NetChat example works just fine. I only had to add KSockets and BaseUnix in the uses clause without touching the rest of code. There are a few things which deserve attention, because some deprecated functions are used, such as inet_addr (which should be replaced with intet_ntoa, already supported by klibc) and suspend and resume used in thread handling.

Hope that it can be useful.

--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different
tastes.