On 2020-09-09 13:51, LacaK via fpc-pascal wrote:

> This is a bit counter intuitive to me.

It is explained here:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus

IMO "c4" case (c4: String1250 = 'áéíóčž';) is not fully explained.
Probably what here happens is, that declared code page of c4 = source
file code page and in that case compiler does not insert conversion
code. StringCodePage(c4)=1250 (also StringCodePage(c2)=1250) so
dynamic code page is right, but when assigning to TLabel.Caption
current dynamic code page is not taken into account

A simple question - is TLabel.Caption declared as Utf8String (I don't use Lazarus)? _Then_ it should work without any issues and/or special attention from users.

Tomas