On 2020-09-14 13:39, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

On 2020-09-12 18:51, Jonas Maebe via fpc-pascal wrote:
On 12/09/2020 18:44, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
Jonas Maebe via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org
<mailto:fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>> schrieb am Sa., 12. Sep. 2020,
17:47:
 .
 .
1) Wouldn't it be better if shortstrings are treated the same way as ansistrings with CP_ACP? This would make a difference only during assignments to strings with different codepages. Since strings with different codepages didn't exist in the past (and in the current situation they are simply broken), this change shouldn't break compatibility hopefully.

No idea what to advise here. I would think shortstring is ASCII or OEM
codepage, not even ANSI :/

As far as I'm concerned, there's no difference between OEM or ANSI (or ISO 8859-x for that matter) _unless_ somebody targets Win32/Win64 and never anything else. From this point of view, there's no reason why shortstrings should be always OEM. Historically, they were used simply for the default characters set on the particular operaing environment.

2) Shouldn't WriteLn with a untyped string constant parameter result in calling some Unicode based version of WriteLn rather than the shortstring overloaded version (since the constant
is stored in UTF-16 internally)?

What is the codepage of a constant string ? Should this not be used ?

That's what I wrote - internally, the (untyped) constant strings are stored in UTF-16.

3) Shouldn't we try to make the output of Write with and without unit Crt compatible to each other? If we do so, what should be the encoding used for output redirected to a file - should it use DefaultSystemCodePage, or scpConsoleCP, or what (remember that this question doesn't exist with unit Crt, because unit Crt isn't compatible with redirection).

I think this last one are in fact 3 questions:
- What to do if output is redirected externally ? (IMHO nothing)

There's no "nothing". Every text file record has an attribute stating the codepage used for that text file. The question is which codepage should be assigned there under which cases.

- What to do if output is redirected internally ? (IMHO, the codepage
should be kept)

Kept from what?

- Whether and how to extend Crt so it works with unicode.
  (Since Crt is legacy, I would not touch it; You'd need to rewrite it
as unicode.)

That is a different question and I don't want to raise that one. My question is simply whether WriteLn (shortstring) should behave differently with and without Crt.

Tomas