>yes, this type of thing is why we use Pascal. pchar is your little bucket
of ram that FPC in a sense knows nothing about. set it to #0 and pray for
the best, cause that's what you do..

I'll just leave it with the #0, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
Thanks to everyone for the help getting this to work.  Here is what I ended
up with if anyone is curious, or if someone comes across this doing a
search.
https://gist.github.com/Zaaphod/7d94e1d712a5b9ac2bcb0bc79f039a63

Also, here is my little console application I needed it for, just as a
simple example on how to put the vertical column editing mode into the
clipboard
https://github.com/Zaaphod/Inches_To_Feet

James