On Wed, 5 May 2021 23:20:08 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 May 2021, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 5 May 2021 16:51:06 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal
>> <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>>> I am aware of this. Good luck getting that to work on linux.
>>> It's a total mess and not nearly ready for production use.
>>>
>>> In the end I simply installed an older version of openssl.
>>>

>> Any directions on how to accomplish this?
>>
>> Or is there some other way in Lazaus for Linux to add a function to send an
>> email containing attachments (files with monitoring result data)?
>> THe SMTP server I use requires SSL on port 465.
>> I have only ever used Indy for things like this.
>
>Use package laz_synapse (in online package manager), unit smtpsend.
>
>I'm using it in FPC and Delphi even today.
>In general, it works a lot easier/simpler than Indy.
>
>Unless you need some weird/outdated protocols,
>I highly recommend Synapse over Indy.

I had great troubles a year or so ago when I tried using some serial packages
based on synapse because they brought in GUI stuff that made it impossible to
compile a simple program aimed at running as a service on a server style linux
box...

And this application is precisely the one I am working on now (after having
replaced the LazSerial and SynSerial etc packages with a serial class I wrote
myself using the FPC built-in serial unit. And using Indy10 for the networking
parts since I have used that for some 20 years or so.

So only if the emailing synapse is guaranteed GUI-free can I use it.

I may even use some external program for mailing by using TProcess to run it....
But what? THere used to be something called sendmail or similar in Linux but
right now I cannot see it on my boxes. And I am uncertain if it can do SSL
logins and accept attachment files.

Anyway, I received a reply from Remy L concerning Indy and that there is a fix
for the oipenssl version available, which he has not tested. I will try to do
that test in the near future. It would (if working) require no extra coding in
my application just an update of Indy10 itself. :)

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden