Hi,

I specialized my generic abstract class in a different unit with this type:

TRec = record
    A: Integer;
    B: Integer;
  end;

(A is for sorting, B is for testing of stability, i.e. for MergeSort, TimSort)

and compare function, declared with inline; directive:

function MyComptFunc(const ARec, BRec: TRec): Integer;
var i, aCnt: Integer;
begin
  aCnt:=CFComplex;
  for i:=0 to aCnt do
    Result:=(BRec.A-ARec.A);
  inc(CFCnt);
  //InterlockedIncrement(CFCnt);
end;

The reason for this complex compare function is that it also measure number of
comparisons and it can simulate more expensive comparisons (like sorting
strings).

For a while, I added this unit to the second "uses" section (implementation) of
the other unit, which is impractical, but I had
temporary access to the compare function. I tested again with ShellSort,
sorting 2'000'000 values takes:
1380ms inlined
1515ms not inlined, ~9% slower
1430ms when compare func. is a parameter ~4% slower

I pass variables by value. But you are right, when I shave the function like
this:

function MyComptFunc(const ARec, BRec: TRec): Integer;
begin
  Result:=(BRec.A-ARec.A);
end;

the results are:
750ms inlined
950ms not inlined, ~21% slower
835ms when compare func. is a parameter ~10% slower

so the gain of inlining is higher for sorting primitive types.