On 28/12/2022 07:12, Christo Crause via fpc-pascal wrote:
On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 6:47 PM Anthony Walter via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org <mailto:fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>> wrote:

    My idea is to implement a web page system where syntax highlight
    code is presented like in the Lazarus IDE, and special links are
    peppered through and explanation of how and why Pascal works by
    using some example programs. When the user highlights the special
    link, the relevant source code is highlighted in the syntax window.
    This then hopefully allows people to understand a bit more about
    pascal by pairing the explanations with lines of source code.

    Let me know if you think this approach has any merit or if you think
    my guide could be altered to be a bit more clean in places. As a
    reminder, this page is a wiki, so you cna submit edits to me by
    clicking the edit link at the top of the page. I am able to see and
    merge your edits.

I like the concept implemented in this guide.  A small problem I noticed is when the source code snippet linked to is not visible, clicking the link does not move the code snippet into view. This is obviously a tricky situation since moving the code into view may require shifting the rest of the document, which may not be desirable.

Explaining the layout and structure of a Pascal program using an example is a good idea. However, the example topic is quite advanced so a non-programmer would probably be completely lost regarding the purpose of the code itself.  Programmers from other languages may also not understand the concept of a form or the Application instance.  As suggested, perhaps the example itself should be simple enough so that a non-programmer can understand the intention of the code.

And having seen a bunch of references to SQL, well my thoughts could be described as "unprintable".

IMNSHO SQL/Relational seriously breaches Einstein's dictum "make things as simple as possible (but no simpler)". Relational is TOO SIMPLE to be a serious database, which makes SQL seriously incomprehensible, and the whole combo misses the sweet spot by a country light year.

If you know me, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about :-)

Cheers,
Wol