> On May 29, 2023, at 9:24 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> FPC itself is single threaded. So for that the single thread rating is more
> important. However Lazarus (and fpmake) can parallelize the building of
> packages if they don't depend on each other. On the other hand this is only
> really important when rebuilding and not when doing normal builds.

I was curious about this, if the compiler was overhauled and it could be made
multi-threaded could it compile each unit on a different thread? Maybe it would
be complicated but if a unit graph was constructed   you could isolate units
that don't depend on each other and compile them on their own threads right?

If I recall this is impossible currently because of the use of global
variables.

Regards,
Ryan Joseph