> On Jul 4, 2023, at 9:58 AM, Nikolay Nikolov via fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> You need to understand all these terms and know exactly what you need to do.
> E.g. are you dealing with keyboard input, are you dealing with the low level
> parts of text display, are you searching for something in the text, are you
> just passing strings around and letting the GUI deal with it? These are all
> different use cases, and they require careful understanding what Unicode
> thing you need to iterate over.

Thanks for trying to help but this is more complicated than I thought and I
don't have the patience for a deep dive right now :)

Unicode is complicated under the hood but we should have some libraries to help
right? I mean the user thinks of these things as "characters" be it "A" or the
unicode symbol 👍 so we should be able to operate on that basis as well.
Something like an iterator that return the character (wide char) and  byte
offset or writing would be a nice place to start.

I have a parser/tokenizer I want to update so I'm trying to find tokens by
advancing one character at a time. That's why I have a requirement to know
which character is next in the file and probably the byte offset also so it can
be referenced later.

Regards,
Ryan Joseph