On 14/08/2023 18:19, denisgolovan via fpc-pascal wrote:
Now we have "volatile" intrinsic for assignments in place, I'd like to ask for
another clarification.

Just to make sure given your questions below: using volatile in the context of multithreaded code is completely wrong in 99.9% of the cases, and when it's not in the best case it's usually just highly inefficient. volatile in FPC/C++ is unrelated to volatile in Java or C# in that respect.

Documentation states we have following barriers - ReadBarrier, WriteBarrier,
ReadDependencyBarrier, ReadWriteBarrier.

I'd like to get an idea how those related to more common / standard terms -
Acquire/Release & their combinations?

Read/Write barriers are terms used in cpu architecture manuals. Acquire/Release are high level parallel programming terms.

Is it safe to assume that:

ReadBarrier - Acquire
WriteBarrier - Release
ReadWriteBarrier - Acquire+Release
ReadDependencyBarrier - which one is that?

You cannot express a ReadDependencyBarrier in terms of acquire/release. See e.g. the explanation of "data dependency barrier" at https://www.sobyte.net/post/2022-08/cpu-cache-and-memory-barriers/ . In practice, I don't think any currently used cpu architectures still require such barriers though.

Jonas