On 2024-03-14 11:06, Marco van de Voort via fpc-pascal wrote:
Op 14-3-2024 om 11:04 schreef Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal:

To me it therefore seems a better idea to move the IDE to utils, and to have a toplevel make command that does the same as 'make all' simply without the
utilities. Or have a 'NOUTILS=1' define.

Or let fpmake simply build the union of packages and utils in
parallel. So separate directories, but one build stage

Well, whatever. I remember having raised the same question in the past (indeed - on the 5th of February 2020 at 1:30am ;-) on the core list) and this is what I got... I even explicity raised the point also mentioned by Michael now (quoting my follow-up mail on the same day):

"OK, that would be addressed in case of inclusion under utils as well. Even more so, actually - users who want to recompile packages for whatever reason (e.g. to have debug information included as discussed here recently ;-) ) aren't probably interested in waiting for rebuilding of the IDE at all."

However, Michael refused to move it to utils at that point in time in order not to delay the release. ;-)

Tomas