Hello FPing Group,

I'm a newbie trying to resolve an issue in deploying Smokeping with Fping
probes. So the problem can be on one or the other, or on my
misunderstanding (I'm not an expert on Linux)

The end machines are RPi with Raspbian. Fping and Smokeping are in their
Debian version, v3.2 and 2.6.8 respectively.

The issue happens when starting the service. Invoking "service smokeping
start", blocks 4 times out of 5 with:

[....] Starting latency logger daemon: smokepingSent data to Server and got
new config in response.

ERROR: fping ('/usr/bin/fping -C 1 localhost') could not be run: localhost
address not found

 at (eval 48) line 1

Sometimes (1/5 times), it works!!!

However the same command '/usr/bin/fping -C 1 localhost' alsways works
correctly from a bash shell (0.27ms).

I looked in the sources of FPing and Smokeping

https://github.com/schweikert/fping/blob/3cc482f2d30f03e1c6a4d707084ca1b8305460f1/src/fping.c#L1985

https://github.com/oetiker/SmokePing/blob/master/lib/Smokeping/probes/FPing.pm#L72

I am puzzled. How a gethostbyname() like this one could fail ?

Anyone would have an idea of where to look for ?

NB:

Raspbian has been modified with the installation of package resolvconf to
put / in read-only. I reversed these changes to see if there is
interferences, when no success.

Best regards.

JPP