Hi,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 02:04:39PM +0100, David Schweikert wrote:
> Thanks Axel for testing 3.16-rc1!

I'll probably upload 3.16-rc2 to Debian Experimental in the next few
days, too.

> I have now published fping 3.16-rc2 with a very big change: the fping
> and fping6 binaries are now united into a single binary, as modern
> IPv6-enabled tools should be. There are now additional options '-4' and
> '-6' to force IPv4-only or IPv6-only mode.

Nice!

Haven't tried it yet, so a few curious questions:

1) Can fping now ping mixed IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in the same
   process?

If so, I have a feature request on that topic (because the same issue
already annoys me with oping :-):

Can you add an option (e.g. -0 or -5) which pings both, A and AAAA
record (as if both IP addresses were given) if a host has both, A and
AAAA record? Or maybe that should be even the default instead of IPv6?

Example:

→ host www.ethz.ch
www.ethz.ch. has IPv4 address 129.132.19.216
www.ethz.ch. has IPv6 address 2001:67c:10ec:4380::216
→ fping -5 www.ethz.ch
www.ethz.ch/129.132.19.216 is alive
www.ethz.ch/2001:67c:10ec:4380::216 is alive

On the other hand that would probably imply that if an host returns
more than one A or AAAA record, both should be pinged:

→ host foobar.weebly.com
foobar.weebly.com. is an alias for pages-wildcard.weebly.com.
pages-wildcard.weebly.com. has IPv4 address 199.34.228.53
pages-wildcard.weebly.com. has IPv4 address 199.34.228.54

Currently, fping (3.15) works as follows:

→ fping -A foobar.weebly.com
199.34.228.53 is alive

But what I'd find helpful is, if it would reply like this:

→ fping -A foobar.weebly.com
199.34.228.53 is alive
199.34.228.54 is alive

>     If you need exact compatibility with old versions, you can:
>     - compile fping with --disable-ipv6 (or use a wrapper, and call 'fping
> -4')
>     - compile fping with --enable-ipv6 and rename it to fping6 (same as
> 'fping -6')

2) So "--enable-ipv6" implies "--disable-ipv4"? If so, that option
   should probably be renamed to "--only-ipv6" or similar to be
   unambiguous.

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | a...@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | a...@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)