On Sat, 2024-03-23 at 18:42 +0000, Andy Doddington wrote:

> > Dear All,
> > I note from the documentation
> > at https://fprint.freedesktop.org/libfprint-dev/intro.html that:
> > "This documentation is not aimed at developers wishing to develop
> > and , contribute fingerprint device drivers to libfprint".

Haha, I didn't know that string existed. That is not true anymore …

I mean, look at https://fprint.freedesktop.org/libfprint-dev/ there is
an entire section on "Writing Drivers", not sure why you got stuck on
the Introduction which is probably still there from libfprint 0.x times
;-)

I think these days most of the internal API surface is documentation.
Likely not perfect, but it should be a quite good overall. So, take a
look at it, but also be willing to accept that there might be some
mistakes or gaps in the documentation. In the same way as the sentence
you quoted is definitely not true anymore. :-)

> > Given that, could you please direct me to the documentation that
> > *is* meant to server this purpose - ideally with some example code?
> > I have just bought a laptop that does not provide a Linux-
> > compatible fingerprint reader, even though it has one that is used
> > by Windows 11 (sigh...).

Please refer to the existing drivers. There is no point in creating an
example. Take a look at a few different and go from there. To start,
figure out if you have a match-on-host or match-on-chip device and try
to find a similar driver from there.

Benjamin