Hi Shlomo,

I'm using Frame 7.1. The cross-refs are regular ones (created with Special -> Cross-Reference).

One thing I have noticed, though, is that in Acrobat (5.0), when I look at the properties for a "bad" link, there is no "Edit Destination" button. Instead there is text that reads something like "Destination M6.9.72923...e: " followed by the filename of the original PDF. (72923 is the ID number in the marker for the Xref's destination.)

I have tried clearing the "Create Named Destinations for All Paragraphs", optimizing PDF size (in Frame), but it does not make any difference (except reducing the file size, which is handy...).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--
*Martin Polley
*Technical Communicator

Shlomo Perets wrote:

Martin,

You wrote:

With some of the PDFs that I create, if I rename them, the
cross-references stop working, giving this error:

    The specified file <old file name> does not exist.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is there a workaround?
(Other than "don't rename the file"...)

What version of FrameMaker is being used? What type of cross-references?

Some of the older FrameMaker 5.x versions specify internal links with a file name target, in which case renaming the PDF causes bad links (even when the PDF is stand-alone, with no links pointing to it from other PDFs).
I don't know of an easy fix for such links at the PDF stage.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars

PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses. ************************************************************************************

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0547-4, 11/24/2005
Tested on: 11/24/2005 8:02:11 PM