Fred, while I can't get into a disagreement over which is the weakest
PDF tool because I intentionally don't go down that path, any printer
driver that uses Adobe PostScript as its engine will generate a PS
file that works (usually works very well) with Distiller. That's the
way Adobe attempts to design their stuff, so that one product works
with another. Like every other software vendor, they have glitches,
but it usually works out to be compatible in the field too.

I've found that the manual two-step of PD file and distillation
usually helps avoid a number of direct-to-distiller glitches.

Your mileage obviously varies, but it works for me, and I don't have
any hestitation in
recommending it when someone else's procedure isn't working...

Art