Hi, Richard, et. al.

Combs, Richard wrote:
BTW, back when I was working in Interleaf (on Sun 3/50s), we demo'd this
new software called FrameMaker. My evaluation? It had a brilliant
paradigm and lots of potential, but it wasn't robust and full-featured
enough to replace Interleaf.
Times change. Now, you couldn't drag me back to Ileaf for love or money.

Wow! Bring back some interesting memories for me too! :)

I first compared Interleaf and FrameMaker on Sun 3/50's in 1989.
The tech pub department in the company was using Interleaf, and
our engineering department was evaluating which way to go for our
documentation needs. The tech pub folks were pushing us to select
Interleaf "for consistency."

We ended up selecting FrameMaker for a few simple reasons (at the
time.) FrameMaker had a server license concept (with checkout), but
Interleaf was locked to the single workstation. And, when you ran
Interleaf, it took over the graphics and you could not run other
windowing tools (Suntools from Sun for example.)

The choice was clear (although it took some convincing for the
CEO - who approved all capital purchases) and we never looked back!