Changing TOC number format: On the Reference page in the TOC file, apply a
character format to the <$pagenum> variable for the paragraph format in
question. Regenerate.

Regarding the second question: Umm, "fixing" a TOC manually certainly is not a
good idea - kinda defies the purpose. If you have too many TOC entries,
something is amiss in the structure of your doc - like you are making something
into a heading (and thus including it in your TOC) without really meaning to...

-Niels