At this stage I wouldn't even speculate on what motivates Steve Jobs, or what
he's fanatical about. And that may have changed since his close brush with the
mortality (pancreatic cancer). One detects a change in his outlook.

I don't know that we Mac users are fanatics. I switched from windows a little
over a decade ago. I still have Windows machines in the labs here. I like what
I'm using now (the Mac) and I have no interest in switching back to Windows.
And some of my colleagues switch to the Mac every year, so we are a growing
group. On campus there is a very large population of Mac users and the numbers
are climbing all the time. But as concerns FrameMaker, I'll change
documentation strategies before I change platforms, though I'll miss
FrameMaker. I'm a bit of a nut about typography, so LaTeX will probably end up
being good for me. It's not fanaticism. It's just preference in a platform to
work on day in and day out. OS X provides a really nice work space whether I
want to make a movie with some Apple software, or write a shell script in UNIX,
or compile some C code for a PIC. It's just a great platform. It's not perfect.
I've got my gripes with some things OS X and some things Apple, but on the
whole I think it's about as good as it gets out there for usability and power
on the desktop.

- web