Art Campbell wrote:

> Color list? You mean like FM's defined colors?
> I don't think so. We're talking digital photographs here,
> with millions of colors.
> The 8-bit limitation is just the bit depth of the file. FM
> doesn't do anything at all with the colors of graphics and
> the colors it defines.... it's a graphic file format attribute.

Nope, not millions of colors -- millions of _possible_ colors. But each
8-bit graphic contains only 2^8, or 256, unique colors -- a palette of
256 defined RGB colors, all of which are added to your FM color list
like this:

RGB 000, 000, 136
RGB 000, 082, 044
RGB 056, 188, 000

So Grant is right. Since each new 8-bit PNG contains its own palette of
256 unique colors, you can end up with hundreds -- even thousands -- of
new colors in your FM doc. Go ahead, select View > Color > Definitions,
and then look at the Name list.

Since your graphics started life as photos, I'm surprised that the
256-color limit isn't a problem, but then I don't know what they're
pictures of. I don't understand your original crash problem, or how the
photos ended up being 16-bit color (are you sure?), or what
"interpolated to size" means. But you might try saving them as 24-bit
color, which is more standard. You might also try significantly reducing
the dpi. I'm no expert, but 300 dpi for a photo seems excessive.

IIRC, after you remove the 8-bit PNGs, saving the doc as MIF will get
rid of all the RGB color definitions.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs