I have not isolated this to the text insets, although that was my initial
reaction to the problem.

That's exactly it. Cross-references in text insets don't become
clickable links in PDF. Unfortunately, that's how it's built.

Is there any way to force the PDF to contain the links for all such cross-
references? I would *strongly* prefer not to edit the PDF to add them in
manually into the PDF - this file is re-generated from FrameMaker too often
in this document!

The only way is to convert the insets to text before generating
the PDF. I had Rick Quatro write a custom FrameScript for me
that does this and generates the PDF, then restores the insets.
That was the only solution I could come up with that didn't
involve lots of manual work each time I needed PDFs.

martha
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Too many words bring about exhaustion."
     --Tao Te Ching, Chapter 5 (translated by Sheets/Tovey)